22 Jun Summer Fun – Just a Keystroke Away
It’s that time of the year when normally you’d be lounging out by the pool, having get-togethers with friends and family and traveling to enjoy summer vacation. If you or someone you love is at risk and you are trying to be safe and keep your distance, consider approaching summer in a new way. There are many innovative or improved virtual options to satisfy some of your summer experience ‘cravings’ from the comfort of your home.
For the Kids (or the Kid in you):
- The San Diego Zoo has camera feeds on many animals along with educational and interesting facts.
- The Georgia Aquarium also has webcams and facts about the animals in their care.
These sites are perfect for a virtual visit with the kids or grandkids.
Opportunities for Art-Lovers:
- Many museums throughout the world are offering free virtual tours of current and past exhibits. While visiting France, the UK or Italy may not be in your usual travel budget, virtual visits to their premiere museums is now inexpensive and easy!
- Check out some innovative visual arts projects around the world including walls, water tanks and more – you can even tap into audio tours as a guide.
Staying in Shape:
- Many gyms have opened; however, it is not recommended to wear masks while exercising – the huffing and puffing most people do when getting a good workout, makes going to the gym not as safe. Fortunately, there are a number of online options to get you moving and your heart rate up, including a selection of exercise videos that the YMCA offers for free.
- Searching on YOUtube for your exercise of choice you are likely to find more free options than usual. Find some you like and favorite them to put together a work out routine.
- If Stairmaster or treadmill are your thing, try a virtual hike while working out. Explore while keeping in shape!
Explore & Support Music:
- Summertime usually includes opportunities to enjoy live music. Even though the crowd aspect is a no-go for now, you can still enjoy virtual concerts and support artists who are unable to tour their usual venues.
- We’re hearing there are opportunities to experience live music while socially distancing in drive in settings in some places. Check out the local drive ins around you do see if they are offering any music.
We are living in a different world. Take advantage of some of the new offerings/opportunities to expand your horizons in fun ways while staying safe and maintaining social distance.
We can navigate this journey together, virtually . . .